Paper 2 Reflection Statement

Writing this essay was a learning experience for me because it allowed me to delve deeper into the history and rhetoric of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense. Before starting this essay, I had only a basic understanding of the party and its goals. However, as I conducted research and began to write, I gained a greater appreciation for the impact that the BPP had on American society and the ways in which they used rhetoric to further their cause.

One aspect of the writing process that I found particularly challenging was organizing my ideas and ensuring that my essay flowed smoothly. I struggled with finding a clear structure for my essay and had to revise it multiple times to ensure that each section was coherent and connected to the overall theme.

Despite these challenges, I am proud of the final product because I feel that it effectively showcases my learning about the BPP and its use of rhetoric. I was able to use examples from the Ten Point Program and the Black Community Survival Conference to demonstrate how the BPP used rhetorical devices to appeal to its audience and further its cause. Additionally, I was able to discuss how Burke’s ideas about identification were implemented in the BPP’s rhetoric, which gave me a deeper understanding of the party’s motivations and goals.

In hindsight, I think that I could have done a better job of incorporating more analysis into my essay. While I was able to provide examples of the BPP’s use of rhetoric, I could have done more to analyze the effectiveness of these examples and how they contributed to the party’s overall message. Additionally, I could have done more to contextualize the BPP’s rhetoric within the larger historical and social context of the time period.

Overall, this essay was a valuable learning experience for me as it allowed me to explore the history and rhetoric of the Black Panther Party in greater depth. It also challenged me to think critically about the ways in which social movements use language to further their causes and how rhetorical devices can be used to appeal to different audiences. I believe that this essay showcases my learning on these topics and I am proud of the final product.