Achievements from the semester

This portfolio showcases the work I have completed in my English composition class during the past semester. It includes writing samples, reflections, annotations, and self-assessment, as well as a reflection on my reading and writing habits during the semester. Through this portfolio, I aim to demonstrate my growth as a reader, writer, and researcher and to reflect on my goals and accomplishments in the English composition class.

Writing Samples:

Reflection post about the sample essay

• The first thing I noticed after reading the three essays, was how each and every essay spoke on something that they initially seem to have believed in or saw in a certain light and how their perspective of it changed. Each essay had a different structure like how the writer who wrote “Q” started off with a suspenseful scene that captivated me and then went on to explain what they believed in and how their perception changed. The writer who wrote about “lesbianism” used a structure that was based on her own life and how hearing the word “lesbian” altered moments in her life. The structure of this article is more like approaching her beliefs and directly asking, “Are you… lesbian?” and when she confesses she is, it’s as if she’s revealing how she came to be which I happened to find very heartwarming and creative. The part of the story that gave me a major emotional reaction would be in the beginning of the essay “Q” where she explained a situation in which she had collided head on with another car. The more detail the author went into, the more nervous I became, because such information can only be obtained by almost dying and trying to take everything in before you die. Everything felt like it was occurring in slow motion, with such acceptance of “yes, this is how I’m going to die” that it was terrifying.

This reflection post discusses three sample essays that I read for class and how my perspective on the topics changed as a result. I also share my emotional reactions to certain parts of the essays and my thoughts on their structures.

“Yourself as Reader, Writer, and Researcher”

I’m Izhak, and I’m an avid reader. I love to read all kinds of stuff, from books to comics to online articles. Fantasy books are something I especially like reading. I enjoy being absorbed in some other world and following the adventures of compelling characters. On the other side, there are some books that I despise reading. Nonfiction books, for example, are difficult for me to read since they are dense and technical. I find them difficult to follow and quickly lose interest. I really like reading something more intriguing and understandable.

One really good memory I have about reading is when I discovered the Harry Potter series. I was in middle school at the time and had never been much of a reader before, but something about those books just captured my imagination. I remember staying up late into the night, completely absorbed in the story. It was a really special experience for me and really sparked my love of reading. As for writing, I have always enjoyed it, although I would not consider myself a natural. In the last few years, I did quite a bit of writing for school and for various extracurricular activities. I wrote research papers, essays, and even a few short stories. I found that I enjoyed the process of writing and liked being able to express my ideas through the written word.

I have also done quite a bit of research in the past, both for school and for personal projects. Some of the research I have done includes finding sources for papers, looking up information on a particular topic, and even conducting interviews. I find that the most difficult and confusing part of the research process is sifting through all of the information and figuring out what is relevant and reliable. It can be overwhelming at times, but I find it rewarding when I am able to find the information I am looking for.

My past English classes were a mixed bag. Some of them were really engaging and I enjoyed them a lot, while others were more dull and felt more like a chore. Overall, I think I have learned a lot from my English classes and have become a stronger writer as a result. As for starting this class, I am feeling a bit nervous but also excited. I would like to learn more about writing and improve my skills. I am also looking forward to reading some new and interesting texts. 

The pandemic has definitely changed my reading and writing habits. With more time at home and less access to outside activities, I have found myself reading more than ever before. I have also been doing more writing, both for school and for personal projects. The pandemic has also made research more challenging, as many libraries and other resources are closed or have limited access. Despite these challenges, I have found that the pandemic has given me more time to focus on my reading and writing, which has been a blessing in some ways.

“Yourself as Reader, Writer, and Researcher”: This is a personal essay in which I discuss my identity as a reader, writer, and researcher, as well as my goals and expectations for the English composition class. I also reflect on my past English classes and the impact of the pandemic on my reading and writing habits.

Reflections:

1. Reflection post about the sample essay: In this reflection, I discuss the insights I gained from reading the three sample essays and how they changed my perspective on the topics. I also share my thoughts on the structures and emotional impact of the essays.
  2. “Yourself as Reader, Writer, and Researcher”: In this reflection, I discuss my process of writing the personal essay and the skills I used, such as self-reflection and self-assessment. I also reflect on my goals for the English composition class and how I hope to improve as a reader, writer, and researcher.

Annotations:

1. Reflection post about the sample essay: In this annotation, I provide a brief summary of the three sample essays and explain their main themes and purposes. I also highlight the key points and techniques used in each essay.
  2. “Yourself as Reader, Writer, and Researcher”: In this annotation, I summarize the main points of my personal essay and explain its purpose and structure. I also discuss the skills and techniques I used, such as self-reflection and self-assessment, and how they contributed to the overall effectiveness of the piece.

Goals and Accomplishments:

In my introduction, I discussed my goals for the English composition class, which included improving my skills as a reader, writer, and researcher and learning more about writing. Throughout the semester, I have worked towards achieving