Broader Reflective Essay

Throughout this semester, I have had the opportunity to engage with a range of writing assignments that have allowed me to grow as a reader, writer, and researcher. One of the most impactful writing assignments I completed this semester was the analysis of three sample essays. Reading these essays allowed me to see the different ways that writers can approach a subject and convey their perspectives. I was particularly struck by the way that the writer of the essay “Q” used a suspenseful opening scene to draw the reader in and the way that the writer of the essay on “lesbianism” used their own life experiences to illustrate their beliefs. These essays reminded me of the importance of using creative and engaging structures in my own writing.

I also had the opportunity to reflect on my own reading, writing, and research habits in the “Yourself as Reader, Writer, and Researcher” assignment. This assignment allowed me to think about my strengths and weaknesses as a reader and writer and how I can continue to grow in these areas. One thing I realized is that while I enjoy reading fantasy books, nonfiction books can be more challenging for me to get through. I also recognized that I have a strong foundation in writing, but there is always room for improvement. I am excited to continue working on my writing skills in future classes.

As a writer, I have always enjoyed the process of crafting a story or essay, but I have also struggled with confidence in my writing ability. I have found that the more I practice and seek feedback from others, the more confident I become in my writing. I have also learned the importance of revising and editing my work to ensure it is clear and effective.

In terms of researching, I have learned that it is crucial to be diligent and thorough in finding reliable sources and evaluating their credibility. I have also learned the value of taking notes and organizing my research in a way that makes it easy to access and use in my writing. The pandemic has presented challenges in terms of research, but it has also taught me the importance of being adaptable and finding alternative ways to access information.

This semester has given me a deeper understanding of rhetorical techniques and how they can be used effectively in writing. I have also learned about the importance of considering the audience and purpose when crafting a persuasive argument. While I still have questions about fear and humor appeals, I am excited to continue learning and improving my skills as a reader, writer, and researcher.

This semester has been a valuable learning experience for me as a reader, writer, and researcher. I have gained a deeper understanding of the different ways that writers can approach a subject and have had the opportunity to reflect on my own reading and writing habits. I am looking forward to continuing to develop my skills in these areas in my future classes